Court orders Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand to use previous bid-criteria for Bangkok Orange Line MRT project

An administrative court in Thailand has ordered the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) to revert back to their previous bidding criteria for the Orange Line MRT project in Bangkok.

The news comes after the MRTA decided to amend bidding criteria on technical and price proposals in August 2020. Pakapong Sirikantaramas, governor of the MRTA had previously stated “The changing of criteria is necessary as the construction of the Orange Line consists of underwater construction which requires additional technical requirements,” and also that “The change is legal and not prohibited by the Public-Private Partnership Act BE2562.” Surapong Laoha-Unya, CEO of Bangkok Mass Transit System Pcl (BTS) then wrote to the MRTA governor and the bid selection committee, urging the MRTA to clarify the reason for changing the bidding criteria.

MRTA wanted to make changes so that 70% of the judging criteria was based on the financial elements of the bid, and the other 30% would be focused on the project’s technical proposals, but BTS had previously agreed with MRTA that the bids would be based 100% on the financial issues. After BTS lodged a complaint with the administrative court, the changes were revoked.

MRTA has 30 days to file a petition otherwise proposal submissions will take place on November 9th, 2020.

The companies that previously entered bid for the projects were Bangkok Expressway and Metro, Bangkok Mass Transit System, BTS Group Holdings, Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction, Italian-Thai Development, Ratch Group, Ch. Karnchang, Gulf Energy Development, Sinohydro Corporation and Woranitath Development.

Drop me a line at jon@futurityjobs.com if you’d like to discuss this project in more detail.

Asia, Construction, Futurity News, Rail, Thailand